I don`t like school!

isha

Why I don`t like school?

I am practically always bored at school. Firstly, it`s boring that teachers calm down my classmates during half a lesson. Secondly, pupils often abuse (they call others, they say bad words). Teachers are often angry. Do you like school? Why? What things don`t you like at school?

Masha, 12 years old, from Russia.

I feel you. Seems like school is mind numbing and you are annoyed they poke fun at students.

From my viewpoint, school is learnings greatest enemy. In our school systems, many kids needs fall under the cracks and their true protentional is not realized. Generally speaking, schools have difficulty accommodating to students with development and learning disorders and keeping up with gifted students. Each of us have different abilities and passions but yet, we are all taught the same thing in the exact dull and monotonous way. Pupils mindlessly jot notes into their coil notebooks like an automaton. As the years go by, these once curious and creative kids become zombies who dare not question what grown-ups say.

Sadly, inequality is rampant in our schools, and children of well-off parents tend to outperform their less fortunate peers. This is partly attributed to, wealthier parents being able to spend extra money on out of class learning experiences such as trips to the local museum, books to satisfy their kids curious mind and tutors to help them stay on top of their academics whereas many poorer families cannot afford such luxuries and the uncertainty of when their next meal will be causes stress that can lead to grades plummeting or dropping out.

Furthermore, schools rely on standardized tests to see how smart kids are. Unfairly, exams are not an effective way to test someone's knowledge as many of us suffer from testing anxiety, which can make us forget what we learned during testing and fog up our brains. Our worth as students is determined by a number on a sheet of paper. Educational systems should focus less on testing and find ways to make learning more personalized.

In my personal experience, school is a source of my misery. I do not preform well in a high stress and structured environment. What works for me is a self-directed approach to learning. Surprisingly, lots of what I know were learned using free resources on the web. I can almost always find a video or article that explains things in a simple and concise way much easier to follow than a boring lecture at school. Something that grinds my gears is when teachers bug students for a laugh. For instance, in freshman year, my teacher would play sesame street to annoy me because she got a kick out of my reactions.

In summary, school's one size fits all model does not work for everyone, exams can be unfair to those with test anxiety and richer kids tend to do better than their poorer counterparts.

View attachment 2829

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 15