Identity.

strider

hi. this isn't a thread asking for advice, it's a thread offering it.

with pride month here, it's very often closeted LGBTQ+ members, especially younger ones, want to or try to come out. unfortunately, there seems to be a pressure around "coming out because it's pride month", etc. first off, i want to discourage this mentality asap.

don't feel pressured to come out, pride month or not. and definitely don't ever give in to that pressure. coming out can be stressful, hard on mental and emotional health, and above all it can even end up being dangerous. don't come out unless you think it's a good time, or if you think it's safe. many LGBT+ youth end up coming out far too soon in unfriendly or abusive situations, often because they thought it would be a good idea because it was pride month. don't risk that. don't risk your happiness or mental/physical health by coming out too soon. think it through, thoroughly. make sure you're comfortable and are in or have a safe environment.

don't feel pressured to use/find labels as soon as possible. don't rush to label yourself. it's much better to do your research and find a label at your own time, rather than jumping the gun right off the bat. and if you find a label, and it fits you better than your previous label, don't be afraid to change that label! same with names or pronouns or gender identity. finding your true authentic self will take time. it's not a month-long journey. for me, it's been 4+ years, and although i'm comfortable now, there's no telling i'm totally 100% done exploring myself, and that's also true for a ton of people.

furthermore, there are always a ton of people, on kidschat and otherwise, who have been there and are more than willing to answer questions or give advice with this subject, myself included. don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for help. you're definitely not alone.

that being said, happy pride month! out or not, labelled or not, etc. etc. you're valid and awesome.

:]

hi. this isn't a thread asking for advice, it's a thread offering it.

with pride month here, it's very often closeted LGBTQ+ members, especially younger ones, want to or try to come out. unfortunately, there seems to be a pressure around "coming out because it's pride month", etc. first off, i want to discourage this mentality asap.

don't feel pressured to come out, pride month or not. and definitely don't ever give in to that pressure. coming out can be stressful, hard on mental and emotional health, and above all it can even end up being dangerous. don't come out unless you think it's a good time, or if you think it's safe. many LGBT+ youth end up coming out far too soon in unfriendly or abusive situations, often because they thought it would be a good idea because it was pride month. don't risk that. don't risk your happiness or mental/physical health by coming out too soon. think it through, thoroughly. make sure you're comfortable and are in or have a safe environment.

don't feel pressured to use/find labels as soon as possible. don't rush to label yourself. it's much better to do your research and find a label at your own time, rather than jumping the gun right off the bat. and if you find a label, and it fits you better than your previous label, don't be afraid to change that label! same with names or pronouns or gender identity. finding your true authentic self will take time. it's not a month-long journey. for me, it's been 4+ years, and although i'm comfortable now, there's no telling i'm totally 100% done exploring myself, and that's also true for a ton of people.

furthermore, there are always a ton of people, on kidschat and otherwise, who have been there and are more than willing to answer questions or give advice with this subject, myself included. don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for help. you're definitely not alone.

that being said, happy pride month! out or not, labelled or not, etc. etc. you're valid and awesome.

:]
I don’t think people should come out because you’re making a big deal out of not being straight or cisgender. And this is coming from a bi guy so maybe I have a bad opinion idk

Fully agreed, I thought I was straight and cis literally all the way up until I turned 18. I think people these days are just so excited about the culture they want to jump right into it when in all reality, you probably won't figure truly figure it all out for a very long time.